- Resource Centre
- Library for health research reporting
- Reporting Guidelines
- Reporting guidelines under development
- Reporting guidelines in other research fields
- Guidance on scientific writing
- Guidance developed by editorial groups
- Research funders' guidance on reporting requirements
- Industry sponsored research - additional guidance
- Research ethics, publication ethics and good practice guidelines
- Development and maintenance of reporting guidelines
- Editorials introducing RGs
- Examples of guidelines for peer reviewers
- Case studies: RG implementation
- Examples of good research reporting
- EQUATOR 'pick'
- Authors of research reports
- Editors and peer reviewers
- Reporting guidelines developers
- Promote responsible reporting
- Monitoring use of our resources
Examples of good research reporting
- CONSORT Library of examples of good reporting
- Explanation & elaboration documents
- Other examples of good research reporting
Some guideline groups developed explanatory and elaboration documents with the intention to enhance the use, understanding, and dissemination of a particular guideline.
These documents present the meaning and rationale for each checklist item accompanied by at least one published example of good reporting.
Moher D, Hopewell S, Schulz KF, Montori V, Gøtzsche PC, Devereaux PJ, Elbourne D, Egger M, Altman DG, for the CONSORT Group. CONSORT 2010 Explanation and Elaboration: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trial.
BMJ 2010;340:c869. PMID: 20332511
J Clin Epi 2010; 63(8): e1-e37 PMID: 20346624
Boutron I, Moher D, Altman DG, Schulz KF, Ravaud P. Extending the CONSORT statement to randomized trials of nonpharmacologic treatment: explanation and elaboration. Ann Intern Med 2008 Feb 19;148(4):295-309.
Hopewell S, Clarke M, Moher D, Wager E, Middleton P, Altman DG, Schulz KF and the CONSORT Group (2008) CONSORT for reporting randomized controlled trials in journal and conference abstracts: explanation and elaboration. PLoS Med 5(1): e20. doi:10.1371/journal. pmed.0050020.
Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J, Mulrow C, Gøtzsche PC, et al.
The PRISMA Statement for Reporting Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses
of Studies That Evaluate Health Care Interventions: Explanation and
Elaboration. PLoS Med 2009; 6(7): e1000100.
Vandenbroucke JP, von Elm E, Altman DG, Gotzsche PC, Mulrow CD, Pocock SJ, Poole C, Schlesselman JJ, Egger M. Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE): Explanation and Elaboration. PLoS Med 2007; 4(10):e297.
Bossuyt PM, Reitsma JB, Bruns DE, Gatsonis CA, Glasziou PP, Irwig LM, Moher D, Rennie D, De Vet HC, Lijmer JG; Standards for Reporting of Diagnostic Accuracy. The STARD statement for reporting of diagnostic accuracy: explanation and elaboration. Ann Intern Med. 2003 Jan 7;138(1):W1-12
Ogrinc G, Mooney SE, Estrada C, Foster T, Goldmann D, Hall LW, et al. The SQUIRE (Standards for QUality Improvement Reporting Excellence) guidelines for quality improvement reporting: explanation and elaboration. Qual Saf Health Care 2008 Oct;17 Suppl 1:i13-i32.
Outbreak Reports and Intervention studies Of Nosocomial infections (example selected by the ORION group)
Fowler S, Webber A, Cooper BS, Phimister A, Price K, Carter Y, Kibbler CC, Simpson AJH, Stone SP. Successful use of feedback to improve antibiotic prescribing and reduce Clostridium difficile Infection (CDI): A controlled Interrupted Times Series (ITS). J Antimicrobial Chemother 2007 59 (5): 990-995
Stock-Schroer B, Albrecht H, Betti L, Endler PC, Linde K, Ludtke R, et al. Reporting experiments in homeopathic basic research (REHBaR)--a detailed guideline for authors. Homeopathy 2009 Oct;98(4):287-98. PMID: 19945681
Blignault I, Ritchie J. Revealing the wood and the trees: reporting qualitative research. Health Promot J Austr 2009 Aug;20(2):140-5. PMID: 19642963
Page last edited: 04 January 2012