- Resource Centre
- Library for health research reporting
- Reporting Guidelines
- Experimental studies
- Observational studies
- Diagnostic accuracy studies
- Biospecimen reporting
- Reliability and agreement studies
- Systematic reviews and meta-analysis
- Qualitative research
- Mixed methods studies
- Economic evaluations
- Quality improvement studies
- Other reporting guidelines
- Reporting data
- Statistical methods and analyses
- Sections of research reports
- Specific conditions or procedures
- Reporting guidelines under development
- Reporting guidelines in other research fields
- Guidance on scientific writing
- Guidance developed by editorial groups
- Research funders' guidance on reporting requirements
- Industry sponsored research - additional guidance
- Research ethics, publication ethics and good practice guidelines
- Development and maintenance of reporting guidelines
- Editorials introducing RGs
- Examples of guidelines for peer reviewers
- Case studies: RG implementation
- Examples of good research reporting
- EQUATOR 'pick'
- Reporting Guidelines
- Authors of research reports
- Editors and peer reviewers
- Reporting guidelines developers
- Promote responsible reporting
- Monitoring use of our resources
Guidelines for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analysis
|Reporting guidance provided for:||Name of guideline website (where available)||References including PMID|
Systematic reviews and meta-analyses
Using PRISMA (talk)
|Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG, The PRISMA Group. Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses: The PRISMA Statement.
PLoS Med 2009; 6(7): e1000097.
BMJ 2009; 339:b2535. PMID: 19622551
Ann Intern Med 2009; 151(4):264-9, W64.
J Clin Epidemiol 2009; 62(10):1006-12.
Open Med 2009; 3(3);123-130
Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J, Mulrow C, Gøtzsche PC, et al. The PRISMA Statement for Reporting Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses of Studies That Evaluate Health Care Interventions: Explanation and Elaboration.
PLoS Med 2009; 6(7): e1000100.
BMJ 2009; 339:b2700. PMID: 19622552
Ann Intern Med 2009; 151(4):W65-94.
PRISMA Statement replaces the QUOROM guideline (PMID: 10584742 )
| Systematic review and meta-analysis abstracts
|| Beller EM, Glasziou PP, Altman DG, Hopewell S, Bastian H, Chalmers I, Gøtzsche PC, Lasserson T, Tovey D; PRISMA for Abstracts Group. PRISMA for Abstracts: Reporting Systematic Reviews in Journal and Conference Abstracts. PLoS Med. 2013 Apr;10(4):e1001419. PMID: 23585737
| Systematic reviews with a focus on health equity
Welch V, Petticrew M, Tugwell P, Moher D, O'Neill J, et al. (2012) PRISMA-Equity 2012 Extension: Reporting Guidelines for Systematic Reviews with a Focus on Health Equity. PLoS Med 9(10): e1001333. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001333. Link to full-text
| Meta-analysis of individual participant data
|| Riley RD, Lambert PC, bo-Zaid G. Meta-analysis of individual participant data: rationale, conduct, and reporting. BMJ 2010;340:c221. PMID: 20139215
|Meta-analyses of observational studies||MOOSE||Stroup DF, Berlin JA, Morton SC, Olkin I, Williamson GD, Rennie D, Moher D, Becker BJ, Sipe TA, Thacker SB. Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis Of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group. JAMA 2000; 283(15):2008-2012.
|| RAMESES: realist syntheses
|| Wong G, Greenhalgh T, Westhorp G, Buckingham J, Pawson R. RAMESES publication standards: realist syntheses. BMC Med. 2013;11:21.
|| RAMESES: meta-narrative reviews
|| Wong G, Greenhalgh T, Westhorp G, Buckingham J, Pawson R. RAMESES publication standards: meta-narrative reviews. BMC Med. 2013;11:20. PMID: 23360661
Other resources that include guidance on reporting
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Cochrane Collaboration. Standards for the Reporting of Cochrane Intervention Reviews (MECIR), Cochrane Collaboration.
- Little J, Higgins JPT (editors). The HuGENETM HuGE Review Handbook, version 1.0. Guidelines for systematic review and meta-analysis of gene disease association studies (see also Systematic Reviews of Genetic Association Studies, PLoS Medicine 2009, 6 (3):e1000028)
- Systematic Reviews. CRD's guidance for undertaking reviews in health care. Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, 2009
- Finding What Works in Health Care: Standards for Systematic Reviews. Chapter 5 - Standards for Reporting Systematic Reviews. Institute of Medicine consensus report. 2011 (full text).
Page last edited: 17 May 2013